Any time the hub or bearing is removed from the knuckle, a new bearing must be used during assembly.
See Figures 1 through 7
- Remove the steering knuckle assembly from the vehicle, as described earlier in this section.
- For 1991 vehicles, remove the 3 dust shield fasteners and separate the shield from the assembly.
- If equipped, remove the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) wheel speed sensor from the knuckle.
- Assemble wheel bearing removing tool SA9159S or equivalent using the hub driver, hub driver screw, bridge retainer and bridge. Install the tool to the knuckle and secure the assembly in a vise using the bridge as the vise contact point.
- Hold the hub driver with a wrench and tighten the hub driver screw to remove the hub. If the inner bearing race is pulled out with the hub, remove the race with a bearing race remover. The service tool can be used by assembling the inner race puller, 2 bridge retainer plates, 2 bolts and 2 flat washers.
- Inspect the hub at the bearing location for pitting, scoring or wear, and replace if necessary.
- Remove the assembly from the vise and remove the wheel hub removal tools.
- Remove the bearing retainer snapring.
- Position the knuckle in a shop press on the knuckle support tube, and press the bearing from the knuckle with a small driver.
- Inspect the knuckle bore for pitting, scoring, wear or corrosion. If damage cannot be easily cleaned with light sanding, the knuckle must be replaced.
- Use the large driver from the service tool kit and properly position the knuckle into the press. (The knuckle should be inverted from its bearing removal position.) Using the driver, press in the new bearing until seated.
- Use the small driver and knuckle support tube to press in the hub assembly. The small driver must be used to support the bearing inner race with its small (pilot) side facing toward the press and away from the bearing.
- Install the bearing retainer snapring.
- If equipped, install the ABS wheel speed sensor into the knuckle and tighten the fastener to 6 ft. lbs. (8 Nm).
- For 1991 vehicles, install the brake dust shield and tighten the fasteners to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Install the knuckle assembly to the vehicle.