REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
- Place the steering wheel in the unlocked position, then raise the front of the vehicle and support safely it using jackstands.
- Remove the left wheel and splash shield.
- Remove and discard the cotter pin from the left lower control arm ball joint stud. Back off the ball joint nut until the top of the nut is even with the top of the threads.
- Use ball joint separator tool SA9132S or equivalent to separate the ball joint from the lower control arm, then remove the nut. Do not use a wedge tool or seal damage may occur.
- Remove the left lower control arm-to-cradle fastener.
- Turn the steering wheel to the left to access and remove the right stabilizer bar nut and washer.
Remove both stabilizer bar-to-cradle mounting brackets. If a cradle nut is damaged, cross-threaded or broken loose from the cradle, replace the nut as follows:
- If the nut is damaged but not broken loose, and the bolt can be removed, distort the bolt threads sufficiently to lock the bolt into the nut. Insert the bolt and tighten with an air impact wrench. Continue to turn the bolt until the nut breaks free of the cradle.
- If the nut was already broken loose and the bolt could not be extracted, or if the bolt was used to break the nut loose, cut the bolt head off.
- Retrieve the bolt shank and nut from the cradle cavity.
- Install a new bolt and nut (Saturn Part Nos. 21010823 and 21006321, or equivalents).
- Remove the stabilizer bar with the left control arm from the vehicle. If necessary, remove the nut and left control arm from the bar.
- If removed, position the left control arm to the stabilizer bar, but do not tighten the fastener at this time.
- Install the mounting bushings onto the bar with the installation slits facing the front of the vehicle.
- Position the right end of the bar into the right control arm (still on the vehicle), then position the left control arm into the cradle. Do not install fasteners at this time.
- Using new bolts or a suitable threadlock such as Loctite® 242, install the mounting brackets and tighten the bolts to 103 ft. lbs. (140 Nm). Then, tighten the fasteners a second time to 103 ft. lbs. (140 Nm).
- Temporarily install the left wheel assembly onto the vehicle and have an assistant push the bottom of the left wheel toward the vehicle to allow lower control arm-to-cradle bolt installation.
- Tighten the lower control arm cradle bolt to 92 ft. lbs. (125 Nm), then tighten the nut to 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm). Remove the wheel assembly from the vehicle.
- Install new nuts onto the right and left stabilizer bar to control arm studs and tighten the right nut, then the left nut to 106 ft. lbs. (144 Nm).
New nuts must be used, because the torque retention of the old nuts may be insufficient.
- Thoroughly clean and lubricate the left ball joint stud threads, then install the left lower control arm ball stud into the left steering knuckle. Install the nut and tighten the stud nut to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm), tighten additionally if necessary and install a new cotter pin.
- Install the splash shield, then install the wheel assembly.
- Remove the supports and lower the vehicle. Check and adjust the alignment as necessary.