REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 8
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- On 1991-94 models, carefully remove the center air outlet/trim panel by pulling outward at the clip locations. Start at the bottom and work upward to the top clips. Do not use instruments which might damage the trim panel.
- On 1995-98 models, remove the radio/HVAC controller cover by depressing the center pins inward to release the push pin fasteners. Be careful not to push the center pins all the way through the fasteners. Remove the push pin fasteners and pull the radio/HVAC controller cover rearward.
- If equipped, disengage the traction control/fog lamps/rear defogger electrical connector.
- Remove the radio. Refer to the Radio removal and installation procedure, later in this section.
- Disengage the electrical connectors behind the controller face.
- If necessary, remove the HVAC control panel screws, then carefully pull the panel forward, just enough for access.
On all Saturn models, the mode cable is black. On 1991-94 models, the temperature cable is blue, while on 1995-98 models, the temperature cable is white.
- Disengage the temperature and mode cables from the controller assembly by squeezing the lock tabs together while pulling the cable housing straight up. Pull the cables straight up to disengage them from the control lever pins.
The pin for the temperature cable may be easier to access if the lever is moved to the full COLD position.
- Reach under the instrument panel and release the cable hold-down clip by gently pushing up on the plastic tab while pushing down on the top of the cable.
- Disconnect the mode cable by rotating the mode valve lever rearward, then turn the cable upward to clear the retention leg and slide it off the pin. Remove the mode cable.
- Slide the temperature cable off of the temperature door hook.
- Install the temperature cable onto the temperature door hook.
- Install the mode cable over the valve pin and behind the retention leg.
- Snap the cable hold-down clip(s) over the cable holder(s).
- Install the temperature and mode cables onto the control lever pins. Install the cable housing into the channel and lock into place by pushing down.
- If removed, install the HVAC control panel and mounting screws.
Adjust the cables by holding the housing and rotating the housing end. Adjustment is made as follows:
- If the mode lever bounces back when pushed to the right side, shorten the cable housing.
- If the mode lever bounces back when pushed to the left side, lengthen the cable housing.
- If the temperature lever bounces back when pushed to the right side, lengthen the cable housing.
If the temperature lever bounces back when pushed to the left side, shorten the cable housing.
- Reattach the electrical connectors behind the controller face.
- Install the radio.
- If removed, engage the traction control/fog lamps/rear defogger electrical connector.
- On 1991-94 models, install the center air outlet/trim panel by pushing in to engage the retaining clips. Start at the top and work downward to the lower clips.
- On 1995-98 models, install the radio/HVAC controller cover and push pin fasteners.
- Connect the negative battery cable.