REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
Whenever a front lateral link is to be replaced on 1991-94 models, the fuel tank must be removed. Also, 1991-92 vehicles were built with a rear assembly containing a special washer at the lateral link-to-crossmember attachment locations. For 1993, this washer was omitted, which necessitated the use of a special truss head bolt. The truss head bolt can be used on any model year, but the hex head bolt from the 1991-92 vehicles should not be used on rear suspensions without the built-in special washer.
- Raise the rear of the vehicle and support it safely using jackstands, then remove the rear wheels.
- If removing the front lateral link on 1991-94 models, remove the fuel tank. refer to Fuel System of this repair guide.
If removing the front lateral link on 1995-98 models, perform the following steps:
- Remove the attaching nut that secures the rear brake lines to the floor pan.
- Place a jack under the rear crossmember for support. Remove the four crossmember-to-body mounting bolts.
- Lower the crossmember to gain access to the inboard lateral link fasteners.
- Remove the inboard lateral link fasteners.
- Remove the lateral link-to-knuckle fasteners.
- Remove the link or links from the vehicle.
- Install the link(s) into the crossmember with the fastener(s), but do not tighten at this time. If the front link is being replaced, remove the anti-rotation tab on the fastener nut.
- Install the link(s) to the knuckle with the knuckle-to-link bolt, but do not tighten at this time.
- Place the crossmember into proper position under the body. Align the crossmember to the body using a 3 / 8 in. rod at the alignment hole and slot. Tighten the crossmember mounting bolts to 89 ft. lbs. (120 Nm).
- On 1991-94 models, tighten the front link bolt to 126 ft. lbs. (170 Nm) and/or the rear link bolt to 89 ft. lbs. (120 Nm).
- On 1995-98 models, use front lateral link tool SA9411C, or equivalent, to prevent Torx® bolt rotation while tightening. Tighten the front and rear lateral link-to-crossmember fasteners to 89 ft. lbs. (120 Nm).
- Tighten the lateral link-to-knuckle fasteners to 122 ft. lbs. (165 Nm).
- On 1995-98 models, secure the rear brake lines to the floor pan and install the retaining nut.
- On 1991-94 models, install the fuel tank, if removed.
- Install the rear wheel(s), remove the supports and lower the vehicle. Check and adjust the rear alignment as necessary.