REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
If your vehicle is equipped with a Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system, follow the recommended disarming procedures before performing any work on or around the system. Failure to do so may result in possible deployment of the air bag and/or personal injury.
If equipped, disable the SIR system as follows:
- Align the steering wheel so the tires are in the straight-ahead position, then turn the ignition to the OFF or LOCK position and remove the key.
- Remove the SIR fuse from the Instrument Panel Junction Block (IPJB).
- Remove the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) device, then detach the yellow 2-way SIR connector at the base of the steering column.
If equipped with a passenger side air bag, perform the same SIR system disabling procedure with the addition of the following steps:
- Using a small, flat bladed screwdriver, pry off the upper instrument panel pad screw caps. Remove the trim panel retaining screws.
- Disengage the rear trim panel clips by lifting up. Then, disengage the front trim panel clips by lifting up at each outer corner and pulling rearward. Be careful not to damage the trim panel during its removal from the vehicle.
- Remove the upper trim panel insulator.
- Remove the CPA device, then detach the yellow 2-way SIR connector on the pigtail from the passenger side air bag module.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the steering wheel. Refer to the procedure earlier in this section.
- Remove the combination switch. Refer to the procedure earlier in this section.
- Unplug the ignition switch electrical connector and remove the 2 retaining screws, then disconnect the switch from the ignition module and remove the switch from the vehicle.
- Install the combination switch and retaining bolts. Tighten the lower mounting bolt first to assure proper location and seating.
- Connect the wiring harness to the ignition switch.
- Install the ignition switch and retaining bolts to the ignition module. Tighten the ignition switch retaining bolts to 18-27 inch lbs. (2-3 Nm).
- If applicable, install the SIR coil to the combination switch assembly.
- If removed, install the instrument cluster and center console trim panels.
- Install the steering column covers and the ignition bezel.
- Install the steering wheel.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
Enable the SIR system as follows:
- Verify that the ignition switch is in the OFF or LOCK position, then attach the SIR electrical connector at the base of the steering column. Install the CPA device to the connector.
- If equipped with a passenger side air bag, connect the yellow 2-way inflator module pigtail and install the CPA device to the connector.
- If equipped with a passenger side air bag, install the insulator and upper trim panel assembly. Be sure that all flaps are tucked and clips engaged. Install and tighten the retaining screws to 20 inch lbs. (2.3 Nm). Install the trim panel screw caps.
- Install the SIR fuse to the IPJB and install the junction block cover.
- Turn the ignition ON and verify that the AIR BAG indicator lamp flashes 7-9 times, then extinguishes. If the light does not flash as indicated, inspect the system for malfunction.