BEARING PRELOAD ADJUSTMENT
See Figure 1
- Center the steering wheel, then raise the front of the vehicle and support it safely using jackstands.
- Loosen the steering gear adjuster plug locknut, then turn the adjuster plug clockwise until it bottoms in the gear housing.
- Tighten the plug to 106 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
- Back off the adjuster plug 50-70 degrees (about 1 flat of the nut).
- While holding the plug steady, tighten the locknut with a crow's foot wrench to 52 ft. lbs. (70 Nm).
- Check the steering for returnability, binding or difficulty in turning.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 2 and 3
- Disconnect the negative battery cable, then raise the front of the vehicle and support it safely using jackstands.
- Remove the front wheels and the left inner splash shield.
- Remove and discard the tie rod ends' cotter pins, then remove the castle nuts. Disconnect the tie rod ends using SA91100C or an equivalent separator tool. Do not use a wedge-type tool or seal damage may occur.
- Loosen the intermediate shaft cover from the steering gear and move it up enough to access the pinch bolt. Remove the pinch bolt.
- Remove the steering gear fasteners and remove the gear through the left fenderwell.
- Install the steering gear and tighten the steering gear-to-cradle bolts to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
- Apply Loctite® 242 Threadlocker, or equivalent, to the intermediate shaft pinch bolt threads. Install the intermediate steering shaft to the gear and tighten the pinch bolt to 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm). Position the shaft cover.
- Thoroughly clean and lubricate the threads of the tie rod ends, then install the ends into the steering knuckles. Install the castle nuts and tighten to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm). Install new cotter pins. If necessary, tighten the nuts additionally to install the pins, but do not loosen them.
- Attach the left inner splash shield and install the front wheels.
- Remove the supports and carefully lower the vehicle, then connect the negative battery cable.
- Check front end alignment and adjust vehicle toe, as necessary.