BEARING PRELOAD ADJUSTMENT
Bearing preload adjustment is the same for both the manual and power rack and pinion assemblies. Refer to the Manual Rack and Pinion adjustment procedure, earlier in this section.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable, then raise the front of the vehicle and support it safely using jackstands.
- Remove the front wheels and the left inner splash shield.
- Remove and discard the tie rod ends' cotter pins, then remove the castle nuts. Disconnect the tie rod ends using SA91100C or an equivalent separator tool. Do not use a wedge-type tool or seal damage may occur.
- Loosen the intermediate shaft cover from the steering gear and move it up enough to access the pinch bolt. Remove the pinch bolt.
- For 1991 vehicles, unplug the power steering pressure switch electrical connector at the steering gear.
- Place a clean container under the pressure and return hoses at the steering assembly. Disconnect the lines from the steering gear and allow the system to drain.
- Remove the steering gear fasteners and remove the gear through the left fenderwell.
- Install the steering gear and tighten the steering gear-to-cradle bolts to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
- Apply Loctite® 242 Threadlocker, or equivalent, to the intermediate shaft pinch bolt threads. Install the intermediate steering shaft to the gear and tighten the pinch bolt to 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm). Position the shaft cover.
- Connect the pressure and return hoses, then tighten the fittings to 20 ft. lbs. (27.5 Nm).
- For 1991 vehicles, connect the wiring harness to the power steering pressure switch.
- Thoroughly clean and lubricate the threads of the tie rod ends, then install the ends into the steering knuckles. Install the castle nuts and tighten to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm). Install new cotter pins. If necessary, tighten the nuts additionally to install the pins, but do not loosen them.
- Install the left inner splash shield and install the front wheels.
- Remove the supports and lower the vehicle, then connect the negative battery cable.
- Check front end alignment and adjust vehicle toe, as necessary.
- Check and add power steering fluid as necessary. Bleed the power steering system. Refer to the procedure later in this section.