REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Raise the front of the vehicle and support it safely using jackstands.
- Remove the front wheel and, if necessary for access, remove the splash shield.
- Remove the cotter pin and nut from the tie rod end.
- Separate the tie rod end from the knuckle with separator tool SA91100C or equivalent. Do not use a wedge-type tool or the seal may be damaged.
- Mark the threaded portion of the tie rod for installation purposes.
- Loosen the tie rod jam nut and unthread the tie rod end from the tie rod. Count the number of turns necessary to remove.
- Clean and lubricate the threads before installation.
- Install the tie rod end, using the same number of turns as counted during removal. Align the tie rod end to the marked location.
- Install the tie rod end to the knuckle. Install the castle nut and tighten to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm), then install a new cotter pin. If necessary, tighten the nut additionally, but do not back it off, to insert the cotter pin.
- Tighten the tie rod jam nut.
- Install the splash shield, if removed, then install the wheel assembly.
- Remove the supports and lower the vehicle, then check and adjust toe as necessary.