On vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in an accidental airbag deployment and possible personal injury or death.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
- Remove the center bezel from the instrument panel.
- Place the center bezel on a workbench and remove the 6 screws that secure the A/C-heater control to the center bezel.
Remove the A/C-heater control from the center bezel.
- Position the A/C-heater control into the instrument panel center bezel.
- Install the 6 screws that secure the A/C-heater control to the center bezel. Tighten the screws to 18 inch lbs. (2 Nm).
- Install the instrument panel center bezel.
- Connect the battery negative cable.