Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Drain the engine oil.
Remove or disconnect the following:
The oil pan and discard the gasket
- Install the balance shafts and carrier on the crankshaft. Torque the bolts to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
- Turn the balance shafts until both key ways are pointing up. Install the short hub drive gear on the sprocket driven shaft.
Make certain that the key ways and the gear timing marks are properly aligned.
- Install the gear cover and torque the double-ended stud and washer to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
- Align the flat of the balance shaft drive sprocket to the flat on the crankshaft.
- Install the balance shaft drive sprocket to the crankshaft with Special Tool 6052.
- Turn the crankshaft until the No. 1 cylinder is at Top Dead Center (TDC).
- Make certain that the timing marks on the chain sprocket are aligned with the parting line on the left side main bearing cap.
- Install the chain over the crankshaft and be sure the plated link is over the No. 1 cylinder timing mark on the balance shaft crankshaft sprocket.
- Place the balance shaft sprocket into the timing chain and align the sprocket dot to the lower plate link on the chain.
- Slide the balance shaft sprocket on the nose of the balance shaft with the key ways pointing at the 12 o-clock position.
- When properly timed, install the balance shaft bolts and torque to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
To tighten the chain use the following procedure:
- Loosely install the chain tensioner.
Position the guide on the double-ended stud and make certain that the tab on the guide fits into the slot on the gear cover.
- Install and tighten the nut/washer assembly to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
- Place a 1mm thick by 70mm long shim between the tensioner and chain.
- With a load applied, torque the top tensioner bolt to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
- Torque the bottom pivot bolt to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
- Remove the shim.
- Install the carrier covers and torque the bolts to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
- Install the oil pan.
- Fill the engine with the proper amount of clean oil.
- Start the vehicle, check for leaks and repair if necessary.