Removal & Installation
The cylinder head bolts should be checked for stretching before reuse. If the thread area of the bolt is necked-down, the bolts must be replaced with new. New head bolts are recommended.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Drain the cooling system.
Remove or disconnect the following:
The negative battery cable
- Clean all mating surfaces of any residual gasket material.
- Lubricate the threads of the cylinder head bolts with clean engine oil.
- Install the cylinder head with a new gasket.
Torque the bolts, in sequence, using the following procedure:
- Step 1: Bolts 1-8: 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm).
- Step 2: Bolts 1-8: 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm).
- Step 3: Bolts 1-8: 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm).
- Step 4: Bolts 1-8: An additional 90°. Do not use a torque wrench for this step.
- Step 5: Bolts 9-11: 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
Install or connect the following:
The valve train components and the camshafts
- Fill the cooling system to the proper level.
- Start the vehicle, check for leaks and repair if necessary.