The fuel gauge level sending unit is attached to the side of fuel pump module. The level sensor is a variable resistor.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove the fuel pump module. Refer to Fuel Pump, removal & installation.
- Depress the retaining tab and remove the fuel pump/level sensor connector from the bottom of the fuel pump module electrical connector.
- Pull off the wire terminal locking wedge.
- Using a small screwdriver, lift the locking finger away from the terminal and push the level sensor and ground terminals out of connector.
- Use a screwdriver to move the locking tab on level sensor and move the level sensor down the channel to remove.
- Slide the level sensor out of the installation channel in the fuel pump module.
- Insert the level sensor wires into the bottom opening in fuel pump module.
- Wrap the wires into the groove in back of the level sensor.
- While feeding the wires into the guide grooves, slide the level sensor up into the channel until it snaps into place. Ensure the tab at the bottom of the sensor locks in place.
- Install the level sensor wires in the connector. Push the wires up through the connector and then pull them down until they lock in place. Ensure signal and ground wires are installed in the correct position.
- Install the locking wedge on the connector.
- Push the connector up into the bottom of the fuel pump module electrical connector.
- Install the fuel pump module. Refer to Fuel Pump, removal & installation.