Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove the fuel filler cap and perform fuel system pressure release procedure.
- Disconnect the negative cable from battery.
- Drain the fuel tank dry into a holding tank or a properly labeled gasoline safety container.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Use a transaxle jack to support the fuel tank. Remove the bolts from the fuel tank straps.
- Lower the tank slightly.
- Disconnect the fuel filler vent tube.
- Disconnect the fuel line and vapor line.
- Disconnect the vacuum line from the LDP.
- Disconnect the fuel filler tube by loosing the clamp and removing the hose.
- Slide the fuel pump module electrical connector lock to unlock. The fuel pump module electrical connector has a retainer that locks it in place.
- Push down on the connector retainer and pull the connector off the module.
Lower the tank from the vehicle.
CAUTIONThe fuel reservoir of the fuel pump module does not empty out when the tank is drained. The fuel in the reservoir will spill out when the module is removed.
- Disconnect the fuel line from the fuel pump module by depressing the quick connect retainers with a thumb and forefinger.
- Slide the fuel pump module electrical connector lock to unlock.
- Disconnect the electrical connection from the fuel pump module by pushing down on the connector retainer and pulling the connector off of the module.
Mark the fuel pump location.
- Use a brass punch and hammer to remove the fuel pump module lock ring.
Remove the fuel pump and O-ring seal from tank. Discard the old seal.
- Wipe the seal area of tank clean and place a new seal into position in the tank opening.
- Position the fuel pump in the tank.
- Position the lock ring over the fuel pump module.
- Tighten the lock ring using a brass punch and hammer.
- Connect the electrical connector.
- Connect the fuel line to the fuel pump.
- Position the fuel tank on a transaxle jack.
- Raise the tank into position and carefully work the filler tube onto the fuel tank. A light coating of clean engine oil on the tube end may be used to aid assembly. Connect the fuel filler tube hose and tighten the clamp.
- Connect the fuel pump/module electrical connector. Place the retainer in the locked position.
- Connect the EVAP, vapor, and vacuum lines.
- Lubricate the fuel supply line with clean 30 weight engine oil, install the quick connect fuel fitting.
- Attach the filler vent line to the filler tube. Pull on the connector to make sure of the connection.
- Place the Natural Vacuum Leak Detection (NVLD) air filter under the right rear tank strap before tightening.
- Tighten the strap bolts to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
- Remove the transaxle jack.
Tighten the filler hose clamp to 32 inch lbs. (4 Nm).
WARNINGEnsure the straps are not twisted or bent before or after tightening the strap nuts.
- Fill the fuel tank, replace the cap, and connect the negative battery cable.
- Use a scan tool to pressurize the fuel system. Check for leaks.