Removal & Installataion
Should any function of the switch fail, the entire switch assembly must be replaced.
Set the steering wheel and the front wheels to the straight ahead position.
CAUTIONThe Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system must be disarmed before working around the steering column. Failure to do so may cause accidental deployment of the air bags, resulting in unnecessary SIR system repairs and/or personal injury.
- Disable the SIR system. Refer to Air Bag (Supplemental Restraint System), disarming the system.
- Remove the steering column lower cover retaining screws.
- Loosen the lower section of the instrument cluster hood for clearance, as necessary.
Remove the steering column upper cover.
- Remove the multi-function switch mounting screws.
- Disconnect the wiring connectors from the multi-function switch.
Lift the multi-function switch upward to remove.
NOTEThe turn signal flasher and hazard warning flasher are combined into one unit called a combination flasher (combo-flasher). An inoperative or incomplete turn signal circuit will result in an increase in flasher speed. The flasher, which is serviced separately from the switch, is mounted to the back of the multi-function (combination) switch. The flasher is black in color for ease of identification.
- Install the multi-function switch.
- Attach the wiring connectors.
- Install the multi-function switch mounting screws and tighten to 20 inch lbs. (2 Nm).
Install the steering column covers as follows:
- Install the upper cover onto the steering column.
- Tighten the lower part of the instrument cluster hood.
- Install the lower steering column cover retaining screws and tighten to 17 inch lbs. (2 Nm).
- Enable the SIR system. Refer to Air Bag (Supplemental Restraint System), arming the system.
- Test the switch functions.