A bent nail type of parking brake cable tension equalizer is used in these vehicles. The bent nail tension equalizer is used only one time to set the parking brake cable tension. If the parking brake cables require adjustment during the life of the vehicle, a NEW tension equalizer MUST be installed before doing the parking cable adjustment procedure.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Remove the 3 screws attaching the rear of the center console.
If vehicle is equipped with an automatic transaxle, remove the shift knob from the shifter. The gear shift knob is attached to the shifter using a set screw. Access to the set screw is from the front of the shift knob and is removed using a 2mm Allen wrench.
If the vehicle is equipped with a manual transaxle, remove the gearshift knob and shifter boot using the following procedure:
- Push the shifter boot down to expose clips on the gearshift knob and roll pin on the shifter handle.
Pry the clips on the shifter knob away from the roll pin in the shifter handle using a flat-blade pry tool.
Remove the shifter knob from the shifter handle, by pulling the shifter knob straight up.
Remove the shifter boot from the center console. The shifter boot is removed by squeezing the bezel together at the base of the shifter boot and pulling upward on the boot.
Remove the 2 screws attaching the front of the center console to the gear selector or shifter.
- Raise the parking brake hand lever to approximately the halfway point of its travel. This will provide the required clearance to remove the center console.
- Remove the center console/arm rest from the vehicle.
- Lower the parking brake lever handle.
Loosen the adjusting nut on the parking brake cable output cable. This will take the tension off the output cable, allowing it to be easily removed from the tension equalizer.
WARNINGDiscard the output cable retaining clip after removing it from the parking brake cable tension equalizer. The retainer is not to be re-used; a new retainer is to be installed when attaching the output cable to the tension equalizer.
Using a screwdriver unlatch the parking brake output cable retainer. Then remove the cable retainer from the parking brake cable tension equalizer.
Remove the parking brake cable tension equalizer from the parking brake lever output cable and the rear parking brake cables.
WARNINGA new cable tension equalizer must be installed when adjusting the parking brake cable tension.
Install the a NEW parking brake cable tension equalizer on the parking brake lever output cable and rear parking brake cables.
WARNINGA new parking brake lever output cable retainer must be used when installing the output cable on the cable tension equalizer. The cable retainer usage is required to ensure the output cable can not separate from the tension equalizer.
- Install a new parking brake lever output cable to the tension equalizer retaining clip on the tension equalizer. The cable retainer must be closed and securely latched.
- Adjust the cable tension for the parking brake system using the following steps:
On vehicles with REAR DISC BRAKES, tighten the adjusting nut on the parking brake lever output cable until 26mm of thread is out past the top edge of the adjustment nut.
Actuate the parking brake lever to its fully applied position (22 clicks) and then reposition the lever to its fully released position. Do this only 1 time.
NOTEActuating the parking brake lever to its fully applied position one time after tightening the adjustment nut will yield (stretch) the bent nail portion of the tension equalizer approximately 1 / 2 inch. This process will correctly set the parking brake cable tension.
- Check the rear wheels of the vehicle; they should rotate freely without dragging.
- After the parking brake cable tension has been properly adjusted, check for free play in the parking brake lever. The parking brake hand lever should feel firm at all clicks, with a maximum of 21 clicks of lever travel possible.
Install the 2 screws attaching the front of the center console.
- Install the screws attaching the rear of center console assembly to the console bracket.
- Install the shifter boot or PRNDL plate back in the center console.
Install the shift knob on the shifter.