The fluid level should be checked with the engine OFF to prevent injury from moving components. Use only MOPAR® ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid (MS-9602), or equivalent. Do not overfill.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Wipe the reservoir fill cap clean before removal.
- Fill the pump fluid reservoir to the proper level. The fluid level should be within the -FILL RANGE- listed on the exterior of the reservoir when the fluid is at normal ambient temperature, approximately 70-80°F (21-27°C).
- Let the fluid settle in the system for at least 2 minutes.
- Start the engine and let it run for a few seconds. Then turn the engine OFF .
- Add fluid if necessary. Repeat the above procedure until the fluid level remains constant after running the engine.
- Raise the front wheels off the ground.
- Start the engine. Slowly turn the steering wheel right and left, lightly contacting the wheel stops.
- Turn the engine off. Check the fluid level and add power steering fluid if necessary.
- Start the engine. Lower the vehicle and turn the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock.
- Stop the engine. Check the fluid level and refill as required.
- If the fluid is extremely foamy, allow the vehicle to stabilize a few minutes, then repeat the above procedure.