Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the rear wheel and tire assembly.
At the knuckle, remove the nut, bushing retainer, and outer trailing link bushing from the trailing link.
- Remove the 4 bolts attaching the trailing link hanger bracket to the floor pan and the frame rail.
Remove the trailing link and the mounting bracket as an assembly from the vehicle.
NOTEThe installation position of the bushings and retainers on the trailing link is important. When separating the trailing link from the hanger bracket, note the position and orientation on the bushings and retainers to ensure they are re-installed correctly.
- Separate the trailing link from the hanger bracket. To separate trailing link from hanger bracket, use a large adjustable wrench on the flat of trailing link to turn the link while holding the nut stationary.
- Remove the trailing link from the vehicle.
- Install the (black) inner bushing retainer, and inner bushing on the trailing link (Trailing Link Bushing Installation).
- Install the trailing link, retainer, and bushing on the hanger bracket.
Install the outer bushing, (gold) outer bushing retainer, and nut on the trailing link. Using a wrench on the flat of the trailing link to keep it from rotating. Tighten the trailing link retaining nut to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm).
- Install the (black) inner bushing retainer, and the inner bushing on the trailing link.
Install the knuckle end of the trailing link in the rear knuckle.
NOTEIt is important that the following procedure be done when installing the trailing arm hanger bracket to the body of the vehicle. This procedure will ensure that the hanger bracket is installed in the correct position on the vehicle.
- Install the trailing link hanger bracket on the vehicle and loosely install the 4 attaching bolts.
- Install 2 drift pins of the appropriate size in the positioning holes on the hanger bracket and into the locating holes in the body.
- With the hanger bracket correctly positioned on the vehicle. Tighten the 4 hanger bracket mounting bolts to 21 ft. lbs. (29 Nm).
Remove the drift pins.
WARNINGWhen installing the trailing link bushing retainers, the retainers must be installed with the cupped side of the retainer facing away from the bushing and the knuckle.
- At the knuckle, install the outer trailing link bushing, (gold) outer bushing retainer, and the retaining nut on the trailing link.
- Using a wrench on the flat of the trailing link to keep it from rotating, tighten the trailing link retaining nut to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm).
- Lower the vehicle.
- Check and reset the rear wheel alignment to specifications as necessary.