- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Drain the fluid from the transaxle.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Both battery cables
When connecting the torque converter to the transaxle, be sure to measure the distance between the mounting lug of the converter and the front edge of the transaxle.
The measured distance between the converter and the front of the transaxle should be:
- 1.6L and 1.8L engines: 0.831 in. (21.1mm) or more.
2.0L engines: 0.626 in. (15.9mm) or more.
- Raise the transaxle and install to engine drive plate.
- Install the transaxle mounting bolts in the proper location as noted during removal.
- On 1.6L and 1.8L engines torque the 2 bottom bolts to 12-15 ft. lbs. (16-21 Nm) and all other bolts to 22-30 ft. lbs. (30-40 Nm).
- On 2.0L engines torque the 2 bottom bolts to 12-15 ft. lbs. (16-21 Nm) and all other bolts to 51-59 ft. lbs. (70-79 Nm).
Install or connect the following:
Torque converter to the drive plate and torque the bolts to 33-43 ft. lbs. (44-59 Nm)
- Fill the transmission to the proper level.
- Start the vehicle, check for leaks and repair if necessary.