- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove the battery and battery bracket. Refer to Battery in the Engine Electrical section.
- Remove the air breather hose, air duct (inlet), and air cleaner case. Refer to Air Cleaner Removal & Installation in the Engine Mechanical section.
- Remove the engine under cover.
- Drain the engine coolant.
Remove the CVT fluid level gauge.
- Remove the CVT fluid charging pipe from transaxle assembly.
- Remove the O-ring from the CVT fluid charging pipe.
- Disconnect the fluid cooler hose from the transaxle assembly (with fluid cooler only).
Disconnect the following harness connectors and wiring harnesses as follows:
CVT unit connector
- Remove the harness and clip from the transaxle assembly.
- Remove the CVT water hoses.
- Remove the control cable from the bracket.
- Remove the control cable bracket.
- Remove the starter motor. Refer to Starter in the Engine Electrical section.
- Remove the rear plate cover.
Turn the crankshaft, and remove the four drive plate and torque converter nuts.
WARNINGWhen turning the crankshaft, turn it clockwise as viewed from the front of the engine.
- Remove the front exhaust pipe.
- Remove the front driveshafts.
- Remove the front suspension member from the vehicle.
- Support the transaxle assembly with a transmission jack. When setting the transmission jack, be careful not to collide against drain plug.
- Support the engine assembly with a transmission jack. When setting the transmission jack, be careful not to collide against drain plug.
- Remove the left-hand engine mounting insulator.
- Remove the bolts mounting transaxle assembly to engine assembly.
Remove the transaxle assembly from vehicle.
WARNINGSecure the torque converter to prevent it from dropping. Secure the transaxle assembly to a transmission jack.
Install in the reverse order of removal, noting the following:
Check the fitting of the dowel pin when installing the transaxle assembly to the engine assembly.
When installing the transaxle assembly to the engine assembly, attach the mounting bolts in accordance with the graphic.
Position and install the drive plate location guide (commercial service tool: 31197CA000) onto the torque converter stud bolts.
When not using the drive plate location guide, rotate the torque converter so that the stud bolt for mounting the drive plate location guide of the torque converter aligns with the mounting position of the starter motor.
Rotate crankshaft so that the hole for inserting drive plate location guide of drive plate aligns with the service hole.
NOTEWhen not using drive plate location guide, insert stud bolt of torque converter into the hole of drive plate, aligning the drive plate hole position and torque converter. Be careful not to strike the drive plate when installing the torque converter stud bolt.
- Align the position of tightening nuts for drive plate with those of the torque converter, and temporarily tighten the nuts. Then, tighten the bolts to the specified torque.
- When tightening the nuts for the torque converter after fixing the crankshaft pulley bolts, confirm the tightening torque of the crankshaft pulley mounting bolts.
Rotate crankshaft several turns and check that transaxle rotates freely without binding after converter is installed to drive plate.
NOTENever reuse O-ring. Apply grease to O-ring.
- Check the fitting of the dowel pin when installing the transaxle assembly to the engine assembly.