Valves are adjusted by changing lifters. There are 26 different thicknesses of Nissan valve lifter available in sizes ranging from 3.00 to 3.50 mm (0.1181 to 0.1378 in) in steps of 0.02 mm (0.0008 in.).
- Remove the rocker cover.
- Rotate crankshaft to TDC on No.1 cylinder. Align TDC mark (no paint) to timing indicator on front cover.
Measure and record valve clearance at the cam lobes indicated.
- Rotate the crankshaft one full turn to TDC No. 4.
- Measure and record valve clearance at the remaining cam lobes.
If adjustment is required, remove the camshafts and measure the valve lifter thickness with a micrometer. Use the equation below to calculate the replacement valve lifter thickness.
Valve lifter thickness calculation: t = t1 + (C1 - C2)
Thickness of new valve lifters can be identified by a stamp mark inside the lifter body.
- Install the selected valve lifters.
- Install the camshafts and check valve clearance again.
- Install timing chain and related parts.
- Manually rotate crankshaft pulley a few rotations and check valve clearance again.
- Installation of the remaining components is the reverse of removal.