Precaution for Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) "AIR BAG" and "SEAT BELT PRE-TENSIONER".
The Supplemental Restraint System such as -AIR BAG- and -SEAT BELT PRE-TENSIONER-, used along with a front seat belt, helps to reduce the risk or severity of injury to the driver and front passenger for certain types of collision. This system includes seat belt switch inputs and dual stage front air bag modules. The SRS system uses the seat belt switches to determine the front air bag deployment, and may only deploy one front air bag, depending on the severity of a collision and whether the front occupants are belted or unbelted. Information necessary to service the system safely is included in the SRS and SB section of this Service Manual.
PRECAUTIONS WHEN USING POWER TOOLS (AIR OR ELECTRIC) AND HAMMERS
Precaution Necessary for Steering Wheel Rotation After Battery Disconnect
For models equipped with the Intelligent Key system and NATS, an electrically controlled steering lock mechanism is adopted on the key cylinder.
For this reason, if the battery is disconnected or if the battery is discharged, the steering wheel will lock and steering wheel rotation will become impossible. If steering wheel rotation is required when battery power is interrupted, follow the procedure below before starting the repair operation.
Connect both battery cables.
- Supply power using jumper cables if battery is discharged.
- Use the Intelligent Key or mechanical key to turn the ignition switch to the -ACC- position. At this time, the steering lock will be released.
- Disconnect both battery cables. The steering lock will remain released and the steering wheel can be rotated.
- Perform the necessary repair operation.
- When the repair work is completed, return the ignition switch to the -LOCK- position before connecting the battery cables. (At this time, the steering lock mechanism will engage.)
- Perform a self-diagnosis check of all control units using CONSULT.