Removal & Installation
- Remove rear wheels and tires using power tools.
- With the parking brake lever released, remove the brake drum. If it is difficult to remove the brake drum, use the following procedure.
While pushing and rotating the retainers, pull out the shoe hold pins, and remove the brake shoe assembly, retainers and springs.
NOTEDo not damage the wheel cylinder boot.
Disconnect the parking brake rear cable from the operating lever.
NOTEDo not bend the parking brake cable.
- Disassemble the brake shoe assembly (brake shoes, springs, adjuster and adjuster lever).
Remove the retainer ring with a suitable tool to separate the operating lever from brake shoe.
Install the operating lever using the following procedure.
- Position operating lever on brake shoe.
- Install retainer ring on operating lever, and crimp them until their contact points are met.
- Apply NISSAN brake grease (KRF00 00005) to brake shoes sliding surfaces (the shaded areas) and other parts on the back plate as indicated by arrows.
Apply NISSAN brake grease (KRF00 00005) to screw and confirm the difference between right and left wheel for assembling when disassembled.
- Right rear wheel thread cutting direction: right-hand screw.
- Left rear wheel thread cutting direction: left-hand screw.
- Assemble the shoe, adjuster, adjuster lever and springs on the shoe assembly.
- Connect the parking brake rear cable to the operating lever.
Install the shoe assembly, shoe hold down pins, springs and retainers. After installation be sure that each part is installed properly.
WARNINGDo not damage the wheel cylinder piston boot.
- Install the brake drum.
- Depress brake pedal approximately 2 to 3 times.
- Adjust the clearance of brake shoe.
- Install rear wheels and tires.