Removal & Installation
Nissan Sentra 2007-2012
- Remove right front wheel and inner fender
- Drain engine oil.
- Remove the intake manifold:
- Remove ignition coils, spark plugs and rocker cover.
- Remove drive belt.
- Remove water pump pulley.
- Disconnect ground cable between engine bracket and radiator support.
- Support the bottom surface of engine using a transmission jack, and then remove the engine bracket and insulator. (See Engine Removal and Installation)
Set No.1 cylinder at TDC on its compression stroke with the following procedure:
Rotate crankshaft pulley clockwise and align TDC mark (no paint) to timing indicator on front cover.
- Hold crankshaft pulley using suitable tool and loosen crankshaft pulley bolt. Do not remove the bolt yet.
- Attach a pulley puller in the threaded holes on crankshaft pulley and remove the pulley.
- If removing the crankshaft sprocket, oil pump sprocket or other related parts, remove the oil lower pan. See Oil Pan Removal and Installation for bolt sequence.
- Remove intake cam timing control solenoid valve.
- Remove drive belt auto-tensioner.
- Loosen front cover bolts in reverse order.
- Remove the front cover. Be careful not to damage the mating surfaces.
- Remove front oil seal from front cover.
- While facing the front of the engine, the timing chain tensioner on your left must be retracted and locked. Push in timing chain tensioner plunger and insert a 0.060 in (1.5mm) stopper pin into the body hole to retain the plunger in collapsed position.
- Remove timing chain tensioner.
Remove timing chain slack guide, timing chain tension guide and timing chain.
WARNINGNever rotate crankshaft or camshafts while timing chain is removed. This is an interference engine.
While facing the engine, the chain tensioner on your right must be retracted and locked.
Fully lift up lever A and push the slack guide B into the chain tensioner (1).
- Remove chain tensioner.
- Remove crankshaft sprocket, oil pump sprocket and oil pump drive chain as a set.
Remove timing chain tension guide (front cover side) from front cover if necessary.
- If the timing chain tension guide (front cover side) is removed, install it to the front cover.
- Align the match marks and install crankshaft sprocket, oil pump sprocket and oil pump drive chain. If these marks are not aligned, rotate the oil pump as needed.
- Make sure the oil pump chain tensioner plunger is compressed and locked a stopper pin, then install it.
- Pull out the tensioner stopper pin and check the match mark alignment again.
- Install the timing chain with all match marks aligned.
- Install the timing chain tension guide and the timing chain slack guide.
- With the plunger retracted and pinned, install timing chain tensioner.
- Pull out the stopper pin and check all match mark alignments again.
- Temporarily install the crankshaft pulley and bolt and rotate the crankshaft two full turns. Check all match mark alignments again. Remove pulley.
- Apply new engine oil to new front oil seal joint surface. Fit the seal into the front cover with the longer lip towards the outside of the engine.
- Using a suitable tool, press-fit front oil seal until it is flush with front end surface of front cover. Make sure the seal is straight and not curled.
- Install new O-ring to cylinder block.
- Apply RTV sealant to the front cover. Don-t forget the opening in the upper center (bolts 10 and 11).
- Make sure O-ring on cylinder block is correctly installed.
- Install front cover and bolts. Be careful not to damage front oil seal on front end of crankshaft.
- Tighten bolts in numerical order in two steps to specified torque.
- Wipe off any excess liquid gasket.
- Install crankshaft pulley and apply new oil to the pulley bolt.
- Hold crankshaft pulley using the proper tool.
Tighten crankshaft pulley bolt in four steps.
51 ft. lbs. (68.6 Nm)
- Make sure crankshaft rotates clockwise smoothly.
- Installation of the remaining components is in the reverse order of removal.
Nissan Sentra 2007-2012
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the upper and lower oil pan and strainer.
- Remove the alternator.
- Disconnect variable timing control solenoid harness connector.
- Remove the coolant overflow reservoir.
- Position the engine compartment fuse and relay box aside.
- Remove the right engine mount and bracket.
- Remove the camshaft timing control (IVT) cover using.
- Pull the chain guide (between camshaft sprockets) out through front cover.
- Set the No.1 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke. Make sure the timing marks on the camshaft sprockets are aligned. See Camshaft Removal and Installation.
- Hold the crankshaft pulley and loosen but do not remove the crankshaft pulley bolt.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley with a bolt-on puller. Do not use a claw type puller.
- Remove the timing cover bolts in reverse of the tightening sequence.
- Push in the chain tensioner plunger and secure it with a stopper pin in the hole on the tensioner body. Remove chain tensioner.
- Remove the timing chain.
If necessary, hold the hexagonal part of the camshaft with a wrench and loosen the camshaft sprocket bolt and remove the camshaft sprocket.
WARNINGDo not rotate the crankshaft or camshafts while the timing chain is removed. This is an interference engine.
To remove the balance shaft chain, compress the chain guide tensioner and remove the tensioner, guide, timing chain, and oil pump drive spacer.
NOTEThe balance shaft bolts must be replaced once removed.
- Secure the left balancer shaft with a wrench and loosen the sprocket bolt.
Remove balancer unit timing chain, balancer unit sprocket and crankshaft sprocket.
- Make sure the crankshaft key points straight up.
Use new bolts for the balance shaft assembly and oil the threads before installation. Install the balancer unit and tighten the bolts in numerical in the following steps:
Step 1: Bolts 1-5, 31 ft. lbs. (42 Nm): Bolt 6, 27 ft. lbs. (36 Nm)
- Install the crankshaft sprocket and timing chain for the balancer unit. Make sure the crankshaft sprocket mark is at the top to align with the mark on the block. The orange or blue link on the chain aligns with this same mark, while the gold or yellow link aligns with the mark on the balance shaft sprocket.
- Install balancer timing chain tensioner and remove the stopper pin. Make sure the timing marks are still aligned.
- Install the camshaft timing chain and related parts.
- After installing timing chain tensioner, remove the stopper pin and make sure that the tensioner moves freely.
- Rotate the crankshaft two full turns and make sure all timing marks still line up.
- Install a new front oil seal
- Carefully clean all sealing surfaces and apply RTV sealant to the timing cover. Install the cover and torque bolts A and D to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm) and bolts B and C to 9 ft. lbs. (13 Nm).
- Carefully clean all sealing surfaces and apply RTV sealant to the rocker cover. Install the cover
- Install IVT solenoid valve to IVT cover with a new O-ring.
- Apply RTV sealant to the IVT cover and install it. Torque the bolts in order to 9 ft. lbs. (13 Nm).
- Install crankshaft pulley and torque bolt to 31 ft. lbs. (42 Nm) plus 60°.
- Install remaining components.