Disconnect the negative battery cable.
NOTEClean the fuel and EVAP connections before disconnecting them to prevent fuel system contamination. Cap the lines to prevent leakage and contamination.
- Relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Drain the fuel tank.
- Remove the fuel filler pipe and remove the tank shield, if equipped.
- Label and disconnect the EVAP lines and electrical connection from the fuel tank assembly.
- Disconnect the fuel line from the tank.
- Support the fuel tank using a suitable jack. Remove the strap bolts and the straps.
- Lower the tank halfway. Be sure the fill neck does not get hung up on the chassis harness. Detach the harness clip from the crossmember.
- Lower the tank enough so that the electrical connections are accessible. Detach the connections then fully lower the tank and remove it from under the vehicle.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. When installing the tank, be sure to inspect all lines, hoses and electrical connections first. Repair or replace as necessary. Tighten the strap bolts to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
To check for leaks, refill the tank then turn the ignition ON (engine OFF) for 2 seconds. Turn the ignition OFF for 10 seconds. Turn the ignition ON again (engine OFF) and inspect the tank and lines for leaks.