When performing service around the SIR system components or wiring, the SIR system MUST be disabled. Failure to do so could result in possible air bag deployment, personal injury or unneeded SIR system repairs.
- Disconnect the battery ground cable.
Remove the air bag:
- Disable the Supplemental Restraint System.
- T urn the steering wheel 90° to access the rear shroud holes to the inflator module. Insert a screwdriver in the holes and push the leaf spring to release the pin. Turn the steering wheel 180° to access the remaining shroud holes and using the screwdriver, release the remaining pins.
- Tilt the inflator module rearward from the top to access the wiring. Tag and unplug the lead wire from the clip on the module, the lead wire from the clip on the steering wheel and the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) and retainer from the module.
- Mark the steering wheel-to-steering shaft relationship.
- If equipped, remove the snapring from the steering shaft.
Remove the nut from the steering shaft.
WARNINGDon't hammer on the steering shaft!
Remove the steering wheel with a puller.
- Install the wheel. The turn signal control assembly must be in the Neutral position to prevent damaging the canceling cam and control assembly. Tighten the nut to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
Install the inflator module as follows:
- Attach the lead wire to the clip on the module, the lead wire to the clip on the steering wheel and the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) and retainer to the module.
- Install the inflator module by pressing it firmly into the steering wheel so that all four notched pins in the leaf spring are fully engaged. Be very careful that you do not pinch any wires.
Connect the battery ground cable and enable the SIR system.