Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2008
- Connect a scan tool to the vehicle-s Data Link Connector (DLC).
- Start the engine and allow the engine to idle.
- Depress the brake pedal firmly and maintain steady pressure on the pedal.
- Using the scan tool, begin the automated bleed procedure.
- Follow the instructions on the scan tool to complete the automated bleed procedure. Release the brake pedal between each test sequence.
- Turn the ignition OFF .
- Remove the scan tool from the vehicle.
- Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir to the maximum-fill level with DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container.
- Bleed the hydraulic brake system. Refer to Bleeding the Brake System procedure in the Brake Operating System section of this manual.
- With the ignition OFF , apply the brakes 3-5 times, or until the brake pedal becomes firm, in order to deplete the brake booster power reserve.
- Slowly depress and release the brake pedal. Observe the feel of the brake pedal.
- If the brake pedal feels spongy, repeat the automated bleeding procedure. If the brake pedal still feels spongy after repeating the automated bleeding procedure inspect the brake system for external leaks.
- Turn the ignition key ON but DO NOT start the engine; check to see if the brake system warning lamp remains illuminated.
- If the brake system warning lamp remains illuminated, DO NOT allow the vehicle to be driven until it is diagnosed and repaired.
- Drive the vehicle to exceed 8 mph (13 kph) to allow ABS initialization to occur. Observe brake pedal feel.
- If the brake pedal feels spongy, repeat the automated bleeding procedure until a firm brake pedal is obtained.