Removal & Installation
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEWhen performing service on or near the SRS components, or SRS wiring the SRS must be disabled. Failure to observe the correct procedure could cause deployment of the SRS components. Serious injury can occur.
- Position the steering wheel so the front wheels are in the straight ahead position.
- Be sure the ignition switch is in the OFF position.
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
NOTEThe SDM may have more than one fused power input. To ensure that there is no unwanted SRS deployment, personal injury, or unnecessary SRS system repairs, remove all fuses supplying power to the SDM. With all SDM fuses removed and the ignition switch in the ON position, the AIR BAG warning indicator will illuminate. This is normal and does not indicate a SRS system malfunction.
- Locate and remove the fuses supplying power to the SDM.
- Wait one minute before working on the vehicle.
Install tool J42640 into the steering column lower access hole. Lock the steering column.
- Remove as much power steering fluid from the reservoir as possible.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Install or connect the following:
Rack and pinion assembly into the vehicle
- Lower the vehicle.
- Fill and bleed the power steering system.