Removal & Installation
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEWhen performing service on or near the SRS components, or SRS wiring the SRS must be disabled. Failure to observe the correct procedure could cause deployment of the SRS components. Serious injury can occur.
- Position the steering wheel so the front wheels are in the straight ahead position.
- Be sure the ignition switch is in the OFF position.
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
NOTEThe SDM may have more than one fused power input. To ensure that there is no unwanted SRS deployment, personal injury, or unnecessary SRS system repairs, remove all fuses supplying power to the SDM. With all SDM fuses removed and the ignition switch in the ON position, the AIR BAG warning indicator will illuminate. This is normal and does not indicate a SRS system malfunction.
- Locate and remove the fuses supplying power to the SDM.
- Wait one minute before working on the vehicle.
Install tool J42640 into the steering column lower access hole. Lock the steering column.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove as much power steering fluid from the reservoir as possible.
Remove the skid plate, if equipped.
Disconnect the hoses from the steering gear. Plug the lines to prevent leakage and contamination.
- Disconnect the steering shaft coupling from the gear.
- Remove the pitman arm nut, then separate the arm from the relay rod using puller J24319-B or equivalent.
Remove the steering gear bolts and remove the gear from the vehicle.
- Install the gear in the vehicle. Tighten the bolts to 110 ft. lbs. (150 Nm).
- Connect the pitman arm to the relay rod.
- Connect the power steering hoses. Tighten the fittings to 24 ft. lbs. (32 Nm).
- The remaining installation is the reverse of removal. Bleed the power steering system.