Removal & Installation
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEWhen performing service on or near the SRS components, or SRS wiring the SRS must be disabled. Failure to observe the correct procedure could cause deployment of the SRS components. Serious injury can occur.
- Position the steering wheel so the front wheels are in the straight ahead position.
- Be sure the ignition switch is in the OFF position.
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
NOTEThe SDM may have more than one fused power input. To ensure that there is no unwanted SRS deployment, personal injury, or unnecessary SRS system repairs, remove all fuses supplying power to the SDM. With all SDM fuses removed and the ignition switch in the ON position, the AIR BAG warning indicator will illuminate. This is normal and does not indicate a SRS system malfunction.
- Locate and remove the fuses supplying power to the SDM.
- Wait one minute before working on the vehicle.
Install tool J42640 into the steering column lower access hole. Lock the steering column.
- Remove the knee bolster. Remove the knee bolster deflector.
Disconnect the automatic transmission shift lock actuator.
- Disconnect the upper intermediate steering shaft from the steering column.
- Disconnect the electrical connectors from the column, as needed.
Remove the steering column retaining nuts.
NOTEMark the location of the two washers at the lower steering column bracket. These washers must be installed in the same locations.
Remove the steering column and the two washers from the vehicle.
NOTEOnce the column is removed from the vehicle it is susceptible to damage. Do not drop the column. Do not lean on the column. Store the column in a safe place.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Tighten the steering column retaining nuts to 20 ft. lbs. (27Nm).