Removal & Installation
4.3L, 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L Engines
Please note that the entire transmission assembly and flexplate must be removed to perform this procedure.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
- Clean the oil seal bore in the block thoroughly before installation of the new seal.
- Inspect the crankshaft for grit, rust or burrs and correct as necessary. Also inspect the portion of the crankshaft where the oil seal makes contact, for wear due to the rubbing action of the oil seal.
- Clean the seal running surface of the crankshaft with a non-abrasive cleaner.
- Lubricate the inner diameter of the new seal and the outer diameter of the crankshaft with engine oil.
Install or connect the following:
Rear main oil seal, using installation tool J 38841, J-35621-B or J-41479, until the tool bottoms against the block and crankshaft rear main bearing cap.
- Start the engine and verify no oil leaks.