Removal & Installation
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEWhen performing service on or near the SRS components, or SRS wiring the SRS must be disabled. Failure to observe the correct procedure could cause deployment of the SRS components. Serious injury can occur.
- Position the steering wheel so the front wheels are in the straight ahead position.
- Be sure the ignition switch is in the OFF position.
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
NOTEThe SDM may have more than one fused power input. To ensure that there is no unwanted SRS deployment, personal injury, or unnecessary SRS system repairs, remove all fuses supplying power to the SDM. With all SDM fuses removed and the ignition switch in the ON position, the AIR BAG warning indicator will illuminate. This is normal and does not indicate a SRS system malfunction.
- Locate and remove the fuses supplying power to the SDM.
- Wait one minute before working on the vehicle.
- Drain the cooling system. Properly dispose of used coolant.
- Disconnect and plug the heater hoses at the HVAC unit.
Remove the upper intake manifold sight shield, if equipped.
- Remove the battery.
Properly discharge the air conditioning system. Remove the accumulator.
Lock the steering column using tool J42640 through the access hole in the lower column trim cover.
- Remove the steering shaft coupling nut and bolt at the steering column.
Remove the front seats.
- Remove the center seat or front console.
Remove the outer trim cover replacement panels.
- Remove the windshield pillar garnish moldings.
Remove the instrument panel upper trim panel with the defroster nozzle grille. Tape the light sensor to the instrument upper panel, so you do not misplace it.
Remove the left and right body hinge trim panels.
Remove the instrument panel center support bracket.
NOTENote the location and routing of the wiring harness prior to removal, to ensure proper assembly.
- On the right side, disconnect the electrical connections to the instrument panel electrical center. Disconnect the electrical connector for the SRS module. Disconnect the antenna lead. Release the wire looms securing the harnesses to the instrument panel.
- On the left side, disconnect the electrical connections to the instrument panel electrical center. Disconnect the ground wires from the upper left cowl panel. Remove the body wiring harness junction block, from its bracket. Release the wire looms securing the harnesses to the instrument panel.
Remove the four bolts securing the instrument panel upper trim panel to the cowl.
Remove the two bolts securing the instrument carrier support to the cowl.
NOTEThese bolts are located down inside the instrument panel and can be seen thru the windshield.
Remove the four bolts releasing the instrument panel assembly from the vehicle.
- With the aid of an assistant pull the assembly rearward, in the vehicle until the locator pin on each side clears the opening.
- Remove the assembly from the vehicle, or position the assembly in the service position.
- Remove the nuts from the HVAC module assembly. Remove the bolts from the HVAC module assembly.
Carefully remove the HVAC module from the vehicle.
- If equipped, remove the heat stakes.
- Remove the HVAC module assembly screws. Separate the case halves.
- Remove the mode actuator screws. Remover the mode actuator.
- Remove the mode actuator cam assembly.
- Remove the defroster door.
Be sure to use new fasteners, as required.
For every heat stake removed, be sure that you install a new screw.
- Installation is the reverse order of the removal procedure.
- Tighten the steering shaft coupling nut to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
- Enable the SRS system. Be sure the ignition switch is in the OFF position. Install the fuses. Connect the negative battery cable. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. If the system is operating properly the AIR BAG indicator will flash.
- Correct problems as required.