Removal & Installation
To disconnect the negative battery cable, proceed as follows. Turn off all lamps and accessories. Turn the ignition OFF without pausing at ACC, remove the ignition key. Wait at least one minute before disconnecting the negative battery cable from the battery. Reposition the negative battery cable cover from the terminal. Rotate the lock lever counterclockwise in order to disconnect the cable from the battery.
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEWhen performing service on or near the SRS components, or SRS wiring the SRS must be disabled. Failure to observe the correct procedure could cause deployment of the SRS components. Serious injury can occur.
- Position the steering wheel so the front wheels are in the straight ahead position.
- Be sure the ignition switch is in the OFF position.
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
NOTEThe SDM may have more than one fused power input. To ensure that there is no unwanted SRS deployment, personal injury, or unnecessary SRS system repairs, remove all fuses supplying power to the SDM. With all SDM fuses removed and the ignition switch in the ON position, the AIR BAG warning indicator will illuminate. This is normal and does not indicate a SRS system malfunction.
- Locate and remove the fuses supplying power to the SDM.
- Wait one minute before working on the vehicle.
Remove the steering column trim covers.
- With the key installed, hold it in the START position.
- Insert an Allen wrench into the hole on top of the lock cylinder housing. Push down on the Allen wrench to release the tab on the lock cylinder inside the lock cylinder housing.
Slide the lock cylinder out of the lock cylinder housing.
- Pull the theft deterrent module away from the lock cylinder case.
- Disconnect the electrical connector.
- Remove the theft deterrent module.
- Disconnect the passlock and key buzzer from the lock cylinder housing.
Insert J 42759 into the lock cylinder housing to release the tabs on the ignition switch.
- Pull the ignition switch out of the lock cylinder housing.
- Disconnect the connector from the ignition switch.
- Use a small flat bladed tool to rotate the ignition lock cylinder case gear clockwise to the START position, allowing it to spring return into the RUN position.
- Install the key into the ignition lock cylinder.
- Install the lock cylinder.
- Continue the installation in the reverse order of the removal procedure.
- To enable the SRS system, be sure the ignition switch is in the OFF position.
- Install the fuses.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
- If the system is operating properly the AIR BAG indicator will flash.
- Correct problems as required.