Removal & Installation
To disconnect the negative battery cable, proceed as follows. Turn off all lamps and accessories. Turn the ignition OFF without pausing at ACC, remove the ignition key. Wait at least one minute before disconnecting the negative battery cable from the battery. Reposition the negative battery cable cover from the terminal. Rotate the lock lever counterclockwise in order to disconnect the cable from the battery.
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
NOTEWhen performing service on or near the SRS components, or SRS wiring the SRS must be disabled. Failure to observe the correct procedure could cause deployment of the SRS components. Serious injury can occur.
- Position the steering wheel so the front wheels are in the straight ahead position.
- Be sure the ignition switch is in the OFF position.
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
NOTEThe SDM may have more than one fused power input. To ensure that there is no unwanted SRS deployment, personal injury, or unnecessary SRS system repairs, remove all fuses supplying power to the SDM. With all SDM fuses removed and the ignition switch in the ON position, the AIR BAG warning indicator will illuminate. This is normal and does not indicate a SRS system malfunction.
- Locate and remove the fuses supplying power to the SDM.
- Wait one minute before working on the vehicle.
Remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the steering column shrouds.
Unfasten the screws from the switch and remove the switch. Detach the electrical connection.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the switch mounting screws to 27 inch lbs. (3 Nm).
- To enable the SRS system, be sure the ignition switch is in the OFF position.
- Install the fuses.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
- If the system is operating properly the AIR BAG indicator will flash.
- Correct problems as required.