Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
- Support the rear axle independently in order to relieve the tension on the leaf springs.
Remove the fuel tank.
NOTEOn 3500 cab chassis the auxiliary tank must be removed to service the right or left shackle bolts.
- Remove the trailer hitch assembly, if equipped.
Remove or disconnect the following:
U-bolt nuts and U-bolts
- Loosely assemble the spring shackle bracket to the frame. Install the shackle bolt. Install the shackle nut.
- Install the leaf spring assembly to the vehicle.
- Loosely assemble the spring to the front hanger bracket.
Install or connect the following:
NOTEDo not reuse the U-bolts.
Front spring hanger bracket bolt
Tighten in a crisscross pattern to:
1500: 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm)
- Tighten the front hanger bracket nut to 74 ft. lbs. (110 Nm) except 14200 GVW. Tighten the front hanger bracket nut to 211 ft. lbs. (300 Nm) plus 140 degrees, 14200 GVW.
- Tighten the front rear spring mounting nut to 125 ft. lbs. (170 Nm) plus 48 degrees.
- Tighten the rear leaf spring hanger to shackle nut and bolt to 70 ft. lbs. (90 Nm).
- Remove the rear axle support.
- Continue the installation in the reverse order of the removal procedure.