Removal & Installation
To disconnect the negative battery cable, proceed as follows. Turn off all lamps and accessories. Turn the ignition OFF without pausing at ACC, remove the ignition key. Wait at least one minute before disconnecting the negative battery cable from the battery. Reposition the negative battery cable cover from the terminal. Rotate the lock lever counterclockwise in order to disconnect the cable from the battery.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
Remove the engine shield, if equipped.
- Remove the front driveshaft. Remove the rear driveshaft.
- Drain the transfer case. Properly dispose of used fluid.
- Remove the transfer case control rod, MP 1222/1225/1226-NOG units.
- Disconnect the electrical connectors, as required.
- Support the transmission, using the proper support fixture.
Remove the transmission mount retaining bolts. Remove the crossmember retaining bolts. Remove the crossmember from its mounting. Remove the transmission mount.
- Support the transfer case using the proper support fixture.
- Remove the transfer case adapter nuts.
Remove the fuel pipe bracket from the studs.
NOTEPull back on the case in order to position the unit so that it can be rotated parallel to the transmission.
- Remove the transfer case from the adapter.
- Rotate the case perpendicular to the torsion bar mounting bracket.
- Lower the transfer case.
Remove the gasket from the transfer case. Remove the transfer case from the transmission jack (holding fixture).
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
NOTEWhen installing a new transfer case gasket, the gasket must be installed with the tab oriented up, and the yellow printing towards the front of the vehicle. Install the gasket without the use of any type of sealant or lubricant.
- Tighten the transfer case adapter nuts to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
- Tighten the crossmember mounting bolts to 52 ft. lbs. (70 Nm) BW 4485-NR3.
- Tighten the crossmember mounting bolts to 70 ft. lbs. (97 Nm) except BW 4485-NR3.
- Tighten the transmission mount retaining nuts to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
- Be sure to fill the transfer case with the proper grade and type fluid.