Diagnosis & Testing
2.4L (LE5) & 2.0L (LNF) Engines
- Check battery age and connections.
With the ignition OFF, install a battery tester and verify the condition of the battery.
NOTEIf the battery is not sufficiently charged test results will not be accurate.
- Connect a Vat 40 tester or equivalent to the battery.
- Turn the ignition to the OFF/LOCK position.
- Observe and record the battery voltage reading at the battery terminals on the tester.
- Start the engine and observe the system voltage reading on the tester. Does the voltage increase from the first specified (engine OFF) to the second (engine ON) specified range-
Turn ON the following accessories:
Maintain engine speed at 2,500 RPM. Voltage readings should be between 13.9-15.5 volts.
NOTEWhen measuring generator output current, be sure the inductive probe encircles the generator output wire.
- Connect an inductive ammeter probe to the output circuit of the generator.
- Start the engine.
- Increase engine speed to 2,500 RPM.
- Adjust the carbon pile as necessary in order to obtain the maximum current output.
Is the generator output greater than or equal to the load test value as specified.
- Rated out put 125 amp. Load test output 87 amp.
- If Alternator output is as specified the system is okay.
Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the drive belt.
- Disconnect the alternator wiring.
- Remove the bolts.
Installation is the reverse of removal. Torque the mounting bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).