Removal & Installation
This vehicle is equipped with an air bag system. The system must be disarmed before performing service on, or around, system components, the steering column, instrument panel components, wiring and sensors. Failure to follow the safety precautions and the disarming procedure could result in accidental air bag deployment, possible injury and unnecessary system repairs.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the steering column trim covers.
- Remove the inflatable restraint steering wheel module coil.
- If applicable, disconnect the ignition lock cylinder solenoid harness connector.
- Disconnect the ignition switch harness connector.
Using the following procedure, remove the ignition lock cylinder case shear bolt:
- Use a hammer and chisel to bite into the shear bolt at a position offset from center.
Tap the chisel to rotate the bolt in order to loosen it. Repeat as necessary until bolt is loose enough to remove.
WARNINGThe lock cylinder must be in the RUN position for the lock cylinder case removal. If the lock cylinder is stuck in the OFF position with the lock bolt engaged then proceed to step 8 for cutting off the lock cylinder housing collar.
- With the ignition in the run position, remove the ignition lock cylinder case housing from the steering column.
- The steering wheel lock bolt, if engaged, may prevent removal of the lock cylinder case. If necessary, cut the lock cylinder case housing collar at the locations (1).
Remove the lock cylinder case.
- Install the ignition lock cylinder into the lock cylinder housing.
- Install the lock cylinder case housing to the steering column.
- Install the lock cylinder case housing clamp and a new shear bolt. Ensure the tab is correctly positioned.
- Tighten the shear bolt until the head breaks off.
- If applicable, connect the ignition lock cylinder solenoid harness connector.
- Connect the ignition switch harness connector to the lock module.
- Install the inflatable restraint steering wheel module coil.
- Install the steering column trim covers.
- Install the steering wheel.