Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove the steering column trim covers.
- Disconnect the ignition switch harness connector.
Turn the ignition switch to the run position.
WARNINGThe ignition switch must be in the run position during removal in order to avoid damage to the ignition switch.
- Remove the ignition switch screws.
Remove the ignition switch from the steering column.
- Install the ignition switch and screws on to the steering column.
- Tighten the ignition screws to 17 inch. lbs. (2 Nm).
- Connect the ignition switch harness connector.
Install the steering column trim covers
NOTEIf the ignition switch is replaced and a learn procedure is not performed, the engine will crank but not start or will start and stall immediately.
- Perform the vehicle theft deterrent system learn procedure.
Theft Deterrent System Relearn Procedure
This 10-minute relearn procedure will relearn the fuel continue password between the Theft Deterrent Module (TDM) and the Engine Control Module (ECM).
- Connect a scan tool to the vehicle in the pass-thru arrangement.
- Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
- Ensure that all power consuming devices are turned OFF on the vehicle.
- On the Techline Terminal, select Service Programming System and follow the Techline Terminal no. on-screen instructions, using the Legacy Pass-Thru method. Ensure the correct programming selection is chosen based on component being replaced or programmed. For this procedure, go to the V.T.D. Vehicle Theft Deterrent Learn menu and choose the Vehicle Theft Deterrent Learn for Powertrain System selection. Ensure the correct Vehicle Theft Deterrent Learn for Powertrain System selection is chosen based on the engine RPO of the vehicle being programmed.
At this point the scan tool must remain connected for the duration of the 10-minute relearn procedure.
NOTEThe scan tool will initially display 12 Minutes. The first 2 minutes allow the scan tool to initialize the appropriate control module. The remaining 10 minutes is the relearn timer. On some vehicles the security indicator may be illuminated for the duration of the 10-minute relearn procedure.
- Observe the scan tool, after approximately 10 minutes the scan tool will display "Programming Successful, Turn OFF Ignition". The vehicle is now ready to relearn the key information and/or the passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
- Turn OFF the ignition and wait 2 minutes.
- With a master vehicle key, turn the ignition to the RUN position for 15 seconds, then start the vehicle. The TDM and ECM have now relearned the fuel continue password.
- With a scan tool, clear any DTCs