Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
CAUTIONWhen performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, the SIR system must be disabled. Failure to observe the correct procedure could cause deployment of the SIR components. Serious injury can occur. Failure to observe the correct procedure could also result in unnecessary SIR system repairs.
- Disable the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system and wait at least one minute.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Secure the steering wheel utilizing a strap to prevent rotation. Locking of the steering column will prevent damage and a possible malfunction of the SIR system. The steering wheel must be secured in position before disconnecting the following components:
The steering column
- After disconnecting these components, do not move the front tires and wheels. Failure to follow these procedures may cause improper alignment of some components during installation and result in possible damage to the SIR coil.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheels.
- Remove the tie rod end outer nut.
- Using a 2-jawed tool, remove the outer tie rod end.
- Drain the power steering system.
- Disconnect the power steering outlet pipe/hose fitting.
- Using tool J 42640 Steering Column Anti-Rotation Pin, or equivalent, lock the steering wheel in place.
- Remove the intermediate shaft bolt from the steering gear.
- Remove the power steering gear mounting nuts/bolts.
Remove the power steering gear.
- Installation is the reverse of removal procedure.
Please take note of the following tightening specifications:
Steering gear mount bolts/nuts: 81 ft. lbs. (110 Nm).
- Fill and bleed the power steering system.
- Adjust the front toe.