Intermediate Steering Shaft
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
CAUTIONWhen performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, the SIR system must be disabled. Failure to observe the correct procedure could cause deployment of the SIR components. Serious injury can occur. Failure to observe the correct procedure could also result in unnecessary SIR system repairs.
- Disable the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system and wait at least one minute.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Secure the steering wheel utilizing a strap to prevent rotation. Locking of the steering column will prevent damage and a possible malfunction of the SIR system. The steering wheel must be secured in position before disconnecting the following components:
The steering column
- After disconnecting these components, do not move the front tires and wheels. Failure to follow these procedures may cause improper alignment of some components during installation and result in possible damage to the SIR coil.
- Remove the left front wheelhouse liner.
- Remove the driver knee bolster bracket.
- Remove intermediate steering shaft upper bolt. Discard the bolt.
- Remove intermediate steering shaft lower bolt. Discard the bolt.
- Remove intermediate steering shaft.
Make sure the intermediate steering shaft seal is seated properly when installing the shaft.
- Install the intermediate steering shaft.
- Install new intermediate steering shaft lower bolt and tighten to 43 ft. lbs. (58 Nm).
- Install new intermediate steering shaft upper bolt and tighten to 43 ft. lbs. (58 Nm).
- Install the driver knee bolster bracket.
- Install the left front wheelhouse liner.
- Enable the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system.
- Connect the negative battery cable.