ABS Verification Test
To avoid personal injury or death, check brake capability is available before road testing.
IMPORTANT! If the ABM/ESP Module has been replaced, verify the programming procedure for the module has been performed in accordance with the scan tool.
If the Anti-Lock Brake Module (ABM), Steering Angle Sensor (SAS), Dynamics Sensor was replaced, it must be initialized using the scan tool. If not initialized, the ABS indicator will flash continuously with no DTCs. To initialize the ABM and clear offsets have wheels pointing straight ahead and follow the directions on the scan tool. The drive test requires a 90° turn. If the Dynamics Sensor was replaced, test drive the vehicle by turning the vehicle left or right in a curving manner at a velocity between 6 and 15 mph (10 and 25 km/h).
- Turn the ignition off.
- Connect all previously disconnected components and connectors.
- Verify all accessories are turned off and the battery is fully charged.
- Verify that the ignition is on, with the scan tool, erase all Diagnostic Trouble Codes from All modules. Start the engine and allow it to run for 2 minutes and fully operate the system that was indicating the failure.
- Turn the ignition off and wait 5 seconds. Turn the ignition on and using the scan tool, read DTCs from all modules.
If any Diagnostic Trouble Codes are present, return to symptom list and trouble shoot new or recurring symptom.
NOTEFor Sensor Signal and Pump Motor faults, the ABM must sense all 4 wheels at 12 km/h (7.5 mph) before it will extinguish the ABS indicator.
- If there are no DTCs present after turning ignition on, road test the vehicle for at least 5 minutes. Perform several anti-lock braking stops.
- Again, with the scan tool read DTCs . If any DTCs are present, refer to the Table of Contents in the applicable Section for the diagnostic test procedure and troubleshoot the new or recurring symptom.
- If there are any DTCs present or is the original concern still present the repair is not complete, refer to appropriate symptom.
- If there are no Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) present, and the customer's concern can no longer be duplicated, the repair is complete.