Removal & Installation
Disconnect negative cable from battery before removing battery output wire from alternator. Failure to do so can result in injury.
- Disconnect and isolate negative battery cable.
- Raise and support vehicle.
Remove bolt (2) at turbocharger brace (1).
Loosen bolt (1) at brace (2). Swivel the race (2) to the side.
- Remove positive (+) terminal nuts (3) and (4).
- Remove wires (5) and (6).
- Remove plastic cover by removing screw and nuts.
Remove screws (1), (3), and (4).
- Remove voltage regulator (2). To prevent damage to the carbon brushes, slowly pull the voltage regulator straight out from alternator without slanting or tipping.
- Position voltage regulator to rear of alternator. To prevent damage to the carbon brushes, slowly install the voltage regulator straight into the generator without slanting or tipping.
- Install screws to attach voltage regulator.
- Install plastic cover, screw and nuts.
- Position wire eyelets to alternator studs.
- Install positive (+) terminal nuts. Tighten positive (+) nut to 159 inch lbs. (18 N·m). Tighten smaller nut to 44 inch lbs. (5 N·m).
- Install turbocharger brace bolt at brace. Tighten bolt to 15 ft. lbs. (20 N·m).
- Install bolt at turbocharger brace. Tighten bolt to 22 ft. lbs. (30 N·m).
- Lower vehicle.
- Connect negative battery cable.
- Check charging system for proper operation.