Removal & Installation
- Drain and remove fuel tank.
- Thoroughly clean the area around pump module at top of tank.
- Disconnect all the fuel lines from pump module fittings.
The plastic fuel pump module locknut (lockring) is threaded onto fuel tank. Install Special Tool 6856 to locknut and remove locknut. The fuel pump module will spring up slightly after locknut is removed.
Pull the fuel pump assembly up just a few inches to gain access to float support arm/rod.
WARNINGBe careful not to bend float support rod while removing pump module.
Rotate the clip to release float rod from the fuel level sensor.
- Twist the rod slightly to remove from fuel level sensor. Do not allow float assembly to fall into fuel tank.
- While holding the float rod, remove the fuel pump module from the fuel tank.
- Remove float assembly from fuel tank.
- Remove and discard rubber gasket (seal) from pump module.
- Thoroughly clean the locknut (lockring) and locknut threads at top of the tank.
- Position a new gasket (seal) to the fuel tank opening.
- Position the float rod assembly partially into the fuel tank.
- Position the fuel pump module partially into the fuel tank.
- Twist the rod into the clip on the fuel level sensor.
- Rotate the clip to attach the rod to the clip.
- After attaching the float assembly to the fuel level sensor, carefully position the fuel pump module into opening in the fuel tank.
- Position the locknut over top of fuel pump module. Install locknut finger tight.
- The fuel line fittings should be pointed to the right side of the vehicle. Rotate and position the alignment arrow towards right side of vehicle (if necessary) before tightening the locknut. This step must be performed to prevent the module's float from contacting the side of fuel tank.
- Tighten the locknut using Special Tool 6856.
- Install the fuel tank.