Removal & Installation
- Disconnect negative battery cable.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove both front lower splash shields.
- Remove the transmission thermal bypass valve, and the cooler lines between the block and transmission.
- Remove the starter blank.
- Install special tool No. 9102 flywheel locking tool.
- Release the accessory drive belt tension by resetting the drive belt tensioner and installing a retaining pin.
- Remove the vibration damper bolt.
Install special tool No. 9544 vibration damper puller.
CAUTIONCare must be taken when removing the damper. DO NOT damage or gouge the front crankshaft seal.
- Remove the vibration damper.
To prevent potential oil leaks, DO NOT touch the front crankshaft inner seal.
- Align the alignment key in the crankshaft with the key way in the damper and install the vibration damper. Tighten the bolt to 224 ft. lbs. plus 90° (304 N·m, plus 90°).
- Position the drive belt back onto the pulleys and release the belt tensioner.
- Remove special tool No. 9102 flywheel locking tool.
- Install the transmission thermal bypass valve and transmission cooler lines.
- Install the intermediate and front underbody splash shields.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Connect negative battery cable.