Removal & Installation
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the rear wheel.
- Remove brake caliper adapter. For additional information, refer to the following section, "Brake Caliper, Removal & Installation.-
- Remove the axle shaft.
- Back-off the parking brakes.
- Remove the outer hub nut with Special Tool 10095 Wrench.
Remove the locking plate, inner hub nut and thrust washer.
NOTEThrust washer is designed for left or right side and not interchangeable.
- Pull the hub off axle tube.
Remove front hub bearing from hub.
Drive out the ABS sensor tone ring, hub seal and rear bearing from the hub.
- Remove the inner and outer bearing cups from hub with a hammer and brass drift.
- Install the outer hub bearing cup with Special Tool 9588 Installer and a hammer.
- Install the inner hub bearing cup with Special Tool 10099 Bearing Cup Installer and Universal Drive Handle C-4171.
- Clean and thoroughly grease bearings with multi-purpose grease.
- Install the inner wheel bearing.
Coat the outer circumference of a new seal with Hylomar SQ 32 M sealant.
WARNINGDo not coat the seal-s rubberized sealing surfaces with sealant.
Install the seal into the hub with Special Tool 10098 Seal Installer and Universal Drive Handle C-4171.
NOTESeal ring should be flush with wheel hub or a maximum of 0.12 inches (3 mm) deep.
- Coat contact surface of ABS sensor ring with Hylomar SQ 32 M sealant.
- Drive the ABS sensor ring in with Special Tool 10097 Tone Ring Installer and Universal Drive Handle C-4171.
- Install the hub on axle tube.
- Install the outer hub bearing.
- Install thrust washer .
- Install the inner hub nut.
- Tighten the inner hub nut with Special Tool 10095 Hub Nut Socket to 221 ft. lbs. (300 Nm) while spinning the wheel hub constantly. Turn back inner nut and then tighten until it touches the thrust washer without play. Then tighten an additional 1 / 8 of a turn.
- Install the locking plate.
- Install the outer hub nut and tighten with Special Tool 10095 Hub Nut Socket to 184 ft. lbs. (250 Nm).
- Install the axle shaft.
- Install the brake caliper.
- Adjust the parking brakes and install the rear wheel.
- Lower the vehicle.