REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The models covered by this guide are equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), which uses an air bag. Whenever working near any of the SRS components, such as the impact sensors, the air bag module, steering column and instrument panel, disable the SRS, as described in Chassis Electrical .
- Disconnect the negative, then the positive battery cables.
- Disable the air bag system, as outlined in Chassis Electrical of this repair guide.
- Remove the access panel from the steering wheel bottom to access the electrical connector.
- Remove the connector from its holder and detach the electrical connector between the air bag and the cable reel.
- Remove the steering wheel side access panels and remove the fasteners that mount the air bag to the steering wheel using a T-30 Torx® bit.
- Carefully remove the air bag assembly, holding the padded surface away from your body in case of accidental deployment.
- Place the air bag unit in a safe area with the padded surface facing UP.
- Remove the electrical connectors for the horn.
- If equipped, remove the electrical connector for the cruise control.
- Remove the steering wheel mounting fastener.
- Turn the steering wheel to the straight ahead position, so the steering wheel is properly centered.
- Matchmark the steering wheel to the splined steering shaft for proper alignment during reassembly.
- Remove the steering wheel by rocking it slowly from side to side while pulling steadily with both hands, or if necessary, use a commercially available steering wheel puller.
If using a steering wheel puller, use care to not thread the puller-to-steering wheel attachment bolts in more than 5 turns, otherwise the air bag cable reel could be damaged. See Figures 1 through 7
- Before installing the steering wheel, center the cable reel by pointing the arrow up. This can be done by rotating the cable reel clockwise until it stops. Then rotate the cable reel about two turns counterclockwise, and the arrow should face up.
- Install the steering wheel and make sure the wheel shaft engages the cable reel and the turn signal canceling sleeve.
Tighten the steering wheel fastener, as follows:
CRV and 4-cylinder Odyssey models: 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm).
- Attach all wires and harnesses.
- Install the air bag assembly using new air bag mounting fasteners, then torque the fasteners to 86 inch lbs. (9.8 Nm).
- Install all covers.
- Connect the positive battery cable first and then the negative.
- After installation, confirm normal system operation of all related equipment, and that all controls are working properly.