The Double Offset Joint (DOJ), is the only part of the assembly that can be replaced, if any of the other components are defective then the shaft should be replaced.
- Straighten the bent claw of the large clamp at the Double Offset Joint (DOJ) end of the boot.
- Loosen the band using pliers being careful not to damage the bolt.
- Remove the small boot band from the DOJ using the same technique.
- Remove the boot from the large end of the DOJ outer race.
- Remove the round circlip using a suitable prytool from the neck of the joint outer race.
Remove the joint outer race.
CAUTIONThe grease used is for CV-Joints, do not replace with another type of grease
- Clean the grease and remove the balls. Be careful not to loose any of the 6 balls.
- Turn the cage by a half pitch to the track groove of the inner race and shift the cage.
- Remove the snap ring that secures the inner race to the shaft and remove the inner race.
- Take the cage from the shaft and remove the boot.
- The other boots may be removed in the same manner as the DOJ boot.
- Wrap the shaft splines with tape to prevent damage.
The following grease must be used during assembly:
- BJ side (Non- turbocharged engine): Molylex No. 2 #723223010.
- EBJ side (Turbocharged engine): NTG2218 No. 28093AA000.
- DOJ side: VU-3A702 (Yellow) No. 23223GA050.
- Install the BJ or EBJ boots and fill it with 2.12-2.47 oz. (60-70g) of grease.
- Place the DOJ boot on the center of the shaft.
- Insert the DOJ cage onto the shaft. Make sure to insert the cage with the cut-out portion facing shaft end.
- Install the inner race on the shaft and fasten with the snap ring. Make sure the snap ring is firmly engaged.
- Install the cage (previously fitted) to the inner race on the shaft. Fit the cage with the protruded part aligned with the track on the inner race and then turn a half pitch.
- Fill the DOJ inner race with 2.82-3.17 oz. (80-90g) of grease.
- Apply a coat of grease to the to the cage pocket and 6 balls.
- Insert the 6 balls.
- Align the outer race track and ball positions and place where the shaft, inner race, cage and balls were located prior to removal and then install the outer race.
Install the circlip into the groove on the outer race.
NOTEMake sure the balls, cage and inner race are fully seated. make sure not to place the matched position of the circlip in the ball groove of the outer race. Pull the shaft lightly to make sure the circlip is fully engaged.
- Apply an even coat 0.71-1.06 oz. (20-30g) of grease to the entire inner surface of the boot and to the shaft.
- Make sure the boot is free from any dirt or foreign materials prior to installation.
- Place the outer race of the boot at the center of its travel.
- Put a band through the boot clip and wind twice in alignment with the groove on the boot.
- Pinch the end of the band using tool ST 9250910000 and tighten securely until it cannot be moved by hand. Make sure there is appropriate air inside the boot.
- Tap on the clip with a punch to lock it making sure not to damage the damaged while tapping. Cut any excess off the band leaving 0.39 inch (10mm) and bend the remaining portion over the clip. Make sure the end of the band is close to the clip.
- Install the remaining boot clamps in the same manner.