The air bag system must be disarmed before removing the steering wheel. Failure to do so may cause accidental deployment.
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
CAUTIONWait at least 10 minutes after disarming the air bag to avoid accidental deployment.
- Disconnect the horn lead from the wiring harness, located beneath the instrument panel.
- On models without air bag, remove the horn pad by removing the retainer screws from the bottom of the wheel.
On models with an air bag, working behind the steering wheel, remove the steering column covers. Use a Torx® bit and remove the air bag module retaining bolts.
CAUTIONAlways carry an air bag assembly, with the bag and trim cover, away from your body. Store the assembly facing upward; never place the assembly face down on any surface.
- Disconnect the air bag module connector and remove the module from the steering wheel. Place the module face up on a flat surface.
- Matchmark the steering wheel and the column for installation.
- Remove the steering wheel retaining nut. Using a steering wheel puller tool, remove the steering wheel from the column.
Install the steering wheel on the column aligning the marks made during removal. Tighten the center nut to 22-29 ft. lbs. (29-39 Nm).
NOTEDo not hammer on the steering wheel or the steering column, as damage to the collapsible column could result.
- Install the horn pad or air bag assembly and the column covers.
- Connect all electrical leads.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Set the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
- Properly disarm the SRS system.
- Remove the lower steering column cover.
- Disconnect the airbag electrical connector below the steering column.
- Disconnect the combination switch connectors from the body harness connector.
- Using a Torx® driver, remove the two bolts in the back of the steering wheel.
- Disconnect the airbag connector on the back of the airbag module. Remove the airbag module, and place it with pad side facing upward.
- 2000-05 models: Matchmark the steering wheel and steering column.
Using a steering wheel puller, remove the steering wheel.
1998-99 Models: Install the steering wheel in the neutral position. Carefully insert the roll connector pin into the hole on the steering wheel.
- 2000-05 Models: Install the steering wheel and align the matchmarks on the steering wheel and steering column.
The remainder of the installation is the reverse order of removal.
NOTEIf steering wheel angle requires fine adjustment, adjust the tie-rod.