REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the blow-by and PCV hoses.
- Remove the valve rocker cover.
- Loosen the valve rocker assembly and remove the pushrod.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the nuts which support the front engine mounting and slightly raise the engine using a floor jack.
- Remove the drain plug and drain the engine oil into a suitable container.
- Remove the oil pan.
- Remove the hydraulic lifter. Use a magnet for removal.
- Install the hydraulic lifter.
- Install the oil pan and tighten the bolts to 3-4 ft. lbs. (4-5 Nm). Install the drain plug.
- Lower the engine and reconnect the front engine mount.
- Lower the vehicle.
- When adjusting the hydraulic lash adjusters, position the engine so that the No. 1 cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke. Then, adjust the intake and exhaust valves on cylinder No. 1, the exhaust valve on cylinder No. 3 and the intake valve on cylinder No. 4.
Adjust the hydraulic lash adjuster as follows:
- Raise the bend of the lockwasher and loosen the locknut. Turn the valve rocker screw clockwise 4 turns. This will open the valves.
- Leave the valves open for 15 minutes to bleed down the lash adjusters.
- Unscrew the valve rocker screw gradually. The rocker arm will stop moving due to the closing of the valve. This is the zero lash point.
- Unscrew the valve rocker 1 1 / 2 additional turns.
- Tighten the locknut and bend the lockwasher.
- Position the No. 1 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke to adjust the intake and exhaust valve on cylinder No. 1, exhaust valve on cylinder No. 3, and intake valve on cylinder No. 4.
- Turn the engine so that the No. 2 cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke. Then, adjust the remaining valves.
- Install the valve rocker cover. Connect the blow-by and PCV hoses.
See Figures 2 and 3
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Matchmark and remove the distributor.
- Remove the timing belt, belt cover and related components.
- Remove the water pipe, oil filler duct and PCV hoses.
- On turbocharged engines, remove the EGR pipe cover, pipe clamps and EGR pipe.
- Remove the valve rocker covers.
- Remove the camshaft cases, camshaft support and camshaft as a unit.
When removing the camshaft case, the valve rockers may fall. Lay a shop rag under the unit to protect the rockers from damage.
- Remove the hydraulic lash adjusters from the cylinder head. Keep them in order as they must be installed into their original positions.
- With the adjuster set in a vertical position, push the adjuster pivot downward by hand. If the pivot is depressed more than 0.020 in. (0.5mm), put the adjuster in a container filled with oil and move the plunger to pump up the adjuster. If the adjuster will not pump up, replace the adjuster.
- Insert the valve lash adjusters into the cylinder head.
- Apply grease to the valve rockers and install.
- Install the camshaft case and tighten the retaining bolts to 13-15 ft. lbs. (17-20 Nm).
- Lubricate the valve system thoroughly. Install the valve rocker covers and tighten to 3-4 ft. lbs. (4-5 Nm).
- Install the PCV hoses, EGR pipe, pipe clamps and EGR pipe. Tighten the pipe to 23-27 ft. lbs. (31-37 Nm).
- Install the oil filler duct and water pipe.
- Install the timing belt, belt cover and related components.
- Install the distributor after turning the engine to TDC for the No. 1 cylinder.
See Figures 4, 5 and 6
- Disconnect the PCV hose and remove the rocker cover.
- Remove the valve rocker assembly. Remove bolts 2-4 in numerical sequence. Loosen bolt 1 and leave engaged to support the rocker assembly. Remove bolts 5-8 in numerical sequence.
- Remove the hydraulic lash adjuster from the tip of the rocker arm. If necessary use pliers, but take care not to scratch the adjuster.
- Inspect the adjuster for scratches and replace as necessary. Submerge the lash adjuster in oil and push the check ball in using an appropriately sized rod.
- With the check ball pushed in, move the plunger up and down at one second intervals until all air bubbles disappear.
- When all air bubbles are removed, remove the rod and quickly push the plunger in to ensure it is locked. If the plunger does not lock properly, replace the adjuster.
- Install the valve lash adjusters on the rocker arms.
- Install the valve rocker assembly on the cylinder head. Temporarily tighten the four outer bolts.
- Tighten the four inner bolts to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm). Tighten the four outer bolts to the same specification.
- Disconnect the PCV hose and remove the rocker cover. Tighten the rocker cover bolts to 4 ft. lbs. (5 Nm).
See Figure 7
- Remove the timing belt, camshaft sprockets and related parts.
- Remove the intake and exhaust camshafts.
- Remove the hydraulic lash adjusters from the tops of the valve springs. Keep the adjusters in order as they must be installed to their original positions.
- Lubricate the lash adjusters and install on the valve springs.
- Install the intake and exhaust camshafts.
- Install the timing belt, camshaft sprockets and related parts.