REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The OHC engines DO NOT use a rocker arm shaft. The valve rocker simply floats between the valve stem and the hydraulic lifter, and the center of the valve rocker rides against the camshaft.1.2L Engine
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the PCV hose from the rocker arm cover.
- Remove the rocker arm cover mounting bolts and lift off the rocker arm cover.
- Remove the rocker shaft mounting bolt.
- Before removing the shaft, note the positions of the rocker arms and spring washers.
- Remove the rocker arm shaft slowly. Remove each component as it clears the shaft. Line the parts up in order as they are removed.
Coat each component with clean engine oil as it is installed.
- Install the individual components one at a time while slowly sliding the rocker arm shaft into the shaft carrier. Make sure the hole in the rocker shaft is lined up with the bolt hole in the center of the carrier.
- Install the rocker shaft bolt. Tighten the bolt to 8-11 ft. lbs. (10-14 Nm).
- Adjust the valve lash. Refer to the procedure in General Information & Maintenance .
- Install the rocker arm cover and connect the PCV hose.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine and listen for any rocker noise or leaking.
These engines are not equipped with rocker shaft assemblies. Instead, the rocker arm is driven directly by the camshaft.
Refer to the Camshaft removal and installation procedure in this section for details.2.2L Engine
See Figures 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Disconnect the PCV hose and remove the rocker cover.
- Remove the valve rocker assembly by removing bolts 2 through 4 in numerical sequence.
- Loosen bolt 1, but leave it engaged to retain the valve rocker assembly.
- Remove bolts 5 through 8, taking care not to gouge the dowel pin.
- Remove the valve rocker assembly.
- Place the valve rocker assembly with the air vent on the rocker arm facing upward into clean engine oil until ready to install. This is done to prevent damaging the hydraulic lash adjuster.
- Install the valve rocker assembly on the cylinder head.
- Temporarily tighten bolts 1 through 4 equally.
Do not allow the valve rocker assembly to gouge the dowel pins.
- Tighten bolts 5 through 8 to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).
- Tighten bolts 1 through 4 to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).
- Install the rocker cover and connect the PCV hose.
These engines are not equipped with either rocker shafts or rocker arms. Instead, the camshaft drives the opening and closing of the individual valves.